There was this time in my life when I hated being in my body so much that I wanted to kill myself. I was short, fat, had braces, was an introverted shy kid and as you can imagine I was bullied a lot. Bullies are nothing but helpless children that were not treated with love and respect in their own homes that’s why they take out their anger and negative emotions onto helpless little kids. I have no grudges against my bullies because they were the ones that made me grow the most. And their hate was what I transformed into unconditional love for myself.
I have gathered 10 simple ways that you can use to feel comfortable in your own skin and love yourself, just the way you are:
1. Change Your Perspective: Instead of focusing on what you don’t have or what you don’t like about yourself, focus on the things that you do have and start loving those qualities about yourself. Note down these things in a diary and read them every now and then. Whatever you focus on grown.
2. Practising Acceptance and Improvement: Understand where you are at in your life and accept that to yourself. After that make a plan where you want to reach and how you are going to get there.
3. Compliment Yourself: Whenever you look yourself in the mirror, give yourself a compliment, it really and truly helps.
4. Meditate: Practice mindfulness meditation everyday and you will figure out the kind of thought patterns that you have in your mind about yourself so that you can heal them.
5. Practice Self Confidence: It’s one thing to have self confidence, it’s another to practice it everyday. Go and communicate with people. Do things that scare you like getting up and talking to a complete stranger, when you face your fears with an open heart they have no other choice but to vanish.
6. Take Care of Your Body: Eat good food that nourishes your body and soul. Put some kind of physical activity in your everyday routine like yoga or running so that you can come back into your body instead of running around in your brain.
7. Find Passions and Interests: Find qualities about yourself that are not physical and explore your horizons. Invest in your passions and hobbies, learn all that you can about these passions and hobbies.
8. Smile and Laugh More: Laughter is truly the best medicine. Smile at people that you see in the markets and on the streets, smiles are free, but contagious.
9. Honour Yourself: Honour and respect yourself as a divine being of light that is living a temporary human incarnation and always see yourself in that light.
10. Stop Comparing Yourself to Other People: No two people have had the same journey in this life or even before this life. No two people are the same in any way and comparing yourself to another human being is the biggest disrespect you can do to your soul. Only compare yourself to your past self.