Home Forums Spirituality Inner Eye

• This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by AvatarLove.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Excerpt from The Garden of Truth by Seyyed Hossein Nasr,

The goal of the spiritual life is to be able to lift up the veil of outwardness so as to behold the inward and subsequently come to know the outward in light of the inward. Spiritual realization enables us to see the outwardly invisible within the visible. It makes possible the journey from outward form to inner meaning, what in Islam is called ta’wīl or spiritual hermeneutics, in such a manner that the veil itself becomes transparent, revealing the reality within and beyond it. But that is only possible if we are able to penetrate into our own center and to lift the veils within, to become interiorized, to gain inner vision. As the celebrated eleventh-century Persian philosopher and poet Nāsir-i Khusraw said:

“See with the eye of inwardness the inner reality of the world, For with the outward looking eye thou canst never see the inward.”

No one can enter the Garden of Truth who has not become trained in casting aside the veil (kashf al-majūb) and seeing beyond the veil that which it veils and yet reveals. Remarkably enough, what is always ultimately revealed is the Presence of the One, the single Essence reflected in the myriads of mirrors of nonexistence. The multiple states of being do not negate the oneness of Being at all for at all levels there is but the radiance of the one Face of the Beloved; there is ultimately but a single Divine Reality.

Seyyed Hossein Nasr, The Garden of Truth, p. 49.

"Don't be pissed;
      be an alchemist."

#1569 Reply
      Keymaster

“The goal of the spiritual life is to be able to lift up the veil of outwardness so as to behold the inward and subsequently come to know the outward in light of the inward.” This was beautiful. And also ta’wīl or spiritual hermeneutics, I did not know about this word it’s so amazing I love it. Thanks a lot for sharing these excerpts because they are inspiring me to read more.

May the force be with you

#1570 Reply
        Participant

:O) Glad you liked it. The word and process of ta’wil is pretty cool. The exact meaning is the “act of taking a thing back to its origin”, hence spiritual hermeneutics or deciphering, which results in a ascension or resurrection of meaning and understanding. This hermeneutics doesn’t operate on just Scripture – though indeed the Divinely Revealed Words are a primary source that NEEDS to be deciphered if all the layers of wisdom are to be revealed – but also, all created phenomena of nature are like verses of the Divine Cosmic Book that are manifestations and symbols that can and should be deciphered.

By learning and engaging in the science of spiritual hermeneutics, it is not just the text or the symbol that undergoes a transformation (from the outward meaning to the inner meaning), but the very soul of the person doing this act of spiritual hermeneutics undergoes a transformation, commensurate with the transformation of the Words or Symbols of God/Creation, because the process of ta’wil or spiritual hermeneutics is not about applying or forcing a meaning onto a symbol, but rather, it is about unveiling or revealing the layers of spiritual meaning already hidden in the inner or the esoteric dimension of the Words of the Divine Books or the signs and symbols of creation. In this way, there is a link between the process of spiritual exegesis and alchemy, whereby there is an inner transformation of the soul due to greater contact with the Holy Spirit

Therefore, some have cleverly stated that engaging in this type of exegesis is, thereby, also an exodus, whereby the soul itself ascends from lower darker realms of being to higher, more luminous realms of being. In a sense, learning the art of spiritual exegesis – usually starting with the Scriptuires – can help to create or open, rather, the inner eye, or the eye of insight.

Meister Eckhart, a Christian mystic, believed in the spiritual birth of the Word (Jesus) in the soul of the mystic, and that this can occur through spiritual deciphering of the Words of the Bible. I think its cool because that means Mary is herself a symbol (not to deny that she was a real historical figure as well), or an example for the potential of those who can be spiritually impregnated with the Word of God. Such people may give birth to the Word of God (light of Jesus) within their soul and then he can speak within them and heal them and teach them “miracles”. This is what it can mean to not just read the Word of God, but to BE the Word of God.

"Don't be pissed;
          be an alchemist."

#1589 Reply
          Keymaster

Spiritual hermeneutics or ta’wil sounds a lot like spiritual alchemy 😀 I feel that it’s the same thing, being One with God. Reading about it right now!

#1590 Reply
            Participant

In a sense it is like alchemy and it is an alchemical process, provided that it is not purely rational exegesis or simple allegorical reading. Spiritual or esoteric exegesis involves total sincerity and humility before the Divinely Reveled symbols (be this in the form of Scripture or Creation = Living Book of God). It also involves total engagement of the person doing the deciphering and it takes study, contemplation, meditation, etc. I posted the following somewhere once:

Exegesis as Exodus

The goal of ta’wil (esoteric exegesis) is not just to rationally understand God’s Word (i.e. the Qur’an or any Divinely Revealed Scripture); it is to be spiritually transformed or transfigured by the spirit or soul of God’s Words. The Light is “sent down” with the Book. The esoteric exegesis is meant to transform the soul of the person who, through this spiritual process, internalizes and assimilates the Light of the Divine Word and liberates his or her soul from the darkness of the material bod and external forms. Scriptual exegesis, then, is Spiritual Exodus.

"Don't be pissed;
              be an alchemist."

#1591 Reply
              Participant

Robert J Dobie explains how giving birth to the Word of God within the soul of the interpreter was of great importance to the Christian mystic Mesiter Eckhart:

“Central to Eckhart’s interpretation of Scripture is the birth of the Son in the soul. For Eckhart, all interpretative activity aims at cracking the “outer shell” of the text to reveal its “hidden marrow,” which is precisely the process of this inner birth. Eckhart thus argues that the Christian life is not one of mere rational assent to the divine Word of Scripture but an actual giving birth to this Word in the innermost ground of the soul, which then bears fruit in a life of detached freedom and love.”

“For Eckhart, the ultimate goal of interpreting Scripture is to find Christ, both within the text and within the soul, for ultimately Christ is born in the soul when that soul encounters Christ in the deepest meaning of Scripture.”

(Robert J. Dobie, Logos and Revelation: Ibn ‘Arabi, Meister Eckhart and Mystical Hermeneutics).

"Don't be pissed;
                be an alchemist."

#1592 Reply
                Participant

The Bible (and other Revealed Scriptures) is considered the Word of God. Jesus Himself, is also The Living Word of God. If one can “find Christ” in one’s soul, by giving birth to the Word of God within one’s soul, which can be done by spiritual intimacy with the Words of Scripture – and by this I don’t mean just simply memorizing the Scriptures but having one’s soul spiritually transformed through the breathing in of the Holy Spirit, which can happen when one can read the inner meanings of Scripture or Signs of Creation with the inner eye – then this would be like being One with God, for God’s Light would illuminate one’s inner world.

This would only work for someone who believed that the Words of Divinely Revealed Scriptures, be it the Upanishads, the Gita, the Torah, the Bible, the Qur’an etc (sorry for leaving others out), have layers of inner spiritual meanings, in addition to the plain surface or exoteric meaning, and which would put one in touch with the Light or the Spirit within the Word of God. Discovering these inner meanings would be like an alchemical process, and in any case, to be able to undergo this, would require a lot of spiritual inner work in daily life, in order to create the inner eye that is capable of seeing beyond the veils of the exoteric words or forms.

Those who don’t believe in the Divinely Revealed Books of God, could ponder over the Signs and Symbols of Creation and discover deeper realities of their own selves, and in that way, do a spiritual exegesis of the Macrocosm (universe/world) and Microcosm (one’s self).

"Don't be pissed;
                  be an alchemist."

#1597 Reply
                  Keymaster

A long time ago I read about the hebrew bible and how they were actually talking about the cerebral spinal fluid and the raising of the kundalini energy, I saw a video back then but I can’t find it now. I found this article which has similar things that were in that video check this out:

http://soular00t.tumblr.com/post/59397147844/the-true-story-of-the-bible

I feel that the same teachings are there in every single religion, just through different mouths, and they have been passed down through the ages in different ways and as a result have been skewed. Even in India, not a lot of people know about spirituality. Most people are just worshiping Gods as statues and hoping for a savior to come and save them, when in truth only LOVE can save us.

#1600 Reply
                    Participant

That is an interesting post, and it totally resonates with me. I do believe in the historicity of the exoteric (i.e. visible or apparent) Crucifixion of Jesus. I also believe this exoteric event served as a symbol and sign for those who had/have awakened their inner eye or eye of the heart for an esoteric (i.e. hidden, inner) spiritual reality; one which can and should re-occur in the personal microcosmic world of the spiritual seeker of Truth. In this way, the “death” and resurrection of the Christ, can be experienced internally, as that post mentioned, through what is in other traditions called the Kundalini awakening.

In esoteric Islamic traditions such as Sufism and Ismailism, external events are also understood as having an inner spiritual re-occurrence, or can and should be experienced in a personal way. So there is the famous “Ascension” (Mi’raj) of the Prophet Muhammad, where on a certain night he mounted a horse named Buraq and ascended the 7 heavens and had a moment of extreme poximity to God. Many Muslims believe this in a literal way, that a physical winged horse took the Prophet on an ascension. Others believe it is a spiritual event that occurs within the inner world of the Prophet and those after him who can also experience it.

I have seen some link this even also with the kundalini rising, where the 7 heavens at each one the Prophet met with a previous Divine Messenger, represent the 7 subtle energy centers (chakras or lataif in arabic). Interestingly, the name of the so called winged horse that the Prophet Muhammad rode, “Buraq”, comes from the Arabic word Barq which means a bolt of lightning. Therefore, this was a luminous and extremely quick experience, like a flash of lighting, that enabled the Prophet to ascend within his own being. This doesnt have to mean that there are no dimension “external” to the existence of human beings, in fact, there can be, but to enter into those higher worlds, one must go within one’s own self, because the human being is itself a gateway or portal into the higher worlds (The Kingdom of God is within). And, perhaps simultaneously, as one goes deeper into one’s own reality, one is thereby ascending into various higher dimensions, since the human being is a microcosm of the macrocosm.

"Don't be pissed;
                      be an alchemist."

#1603 Reply
                      Keymaster

Yes! I love the way all the religions say the same thing and still so many humans find ways to fight and claim a superior god, it’s kind of funny. And yes the bolt of lightening, our Kundalini energy is an electric force which can be felt within the body during the awakening process. I also felt my nani’s presence as a flashing electric lightning force outside my window the night she passed away, and I didn’t even know until morning that she was in spirit now. She freaked me out to the core 😀 and also the whole day made me wonder how beautifully we have been created. I feel more connected to her now than ever before, I feel that she’s my spirit guide now! 🙂

#1609 Reply
                        Participant

you wrote: “”made me wonder how beautifully we have been created.” That made me think of what if the world we lived in didn’t have such a thing as the phenomenon of “lightning”, flashing light in the sky, manifesting from out of nowhere? Or what if there was no thunder? Loud noise, again, from out of the invisible realm? If these things did not exist, how it would change the human psyche?  Or if there was no such thing as a dream? How would that affect human imagination… But, we do have those things 🙂

"Don't be pissed;
                          be an alchemist."

#1614 Reply
                          Keymaster

And I’m thankful for everything being exactly the way it is 😀 Nature is perfect!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          Reply To: Inner Eye

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                          Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: