Home Forums Alchemy & Magic How Accurate is Alchemy Depicted in Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was curious to know about the references to Alchemy in the first book, when JK Rowling describes Nicholas Flamel and his exploits, leading to the plot of the namesake Philosopher/Sorcerer’s Stone. How accurate is it to the ancient texts of Alchemy?

#1509 Reply
      Keymaster

Yes there is a philosopher’s stone which has been talked about in alchemy texts, it is not really a perceivable thing or object. It is said that it can transform lead into gold & activate immortality in humans. I believe that it’s the human consciousness that is being refined and the end product is the philosopher’s stone, which is the amalgamation of the male and female aspects of ourselves within our hearts.

May the force be with you

#1518 Reply
        Participant

So is it actually metaphysical in nature but referred to only metaphorically in all literature till now? Is that the case?

#1523 Reply
          Participant

To my understanding, Alchemy was practiced as a science only as far as the public eye. Secretly it was a form a spiritual doctrine in a time when anything other than Christianity was persecuted. Turning lead to gold was an analogy for perfecting the Self and finding enlightenment through self discipline and transformation.
            However alchemists were also REAL scientists. Although the majority of the science community treats them as a joke, many of the techniques we use now stemmed from their detailed records and techniques.
            Side fact: most of the early scientists were actually priests. They were some of the only people with the education and resources to conduct scientific experiments, and they believed that studying God’s creation was a form of devotion.

#1528 Reply
            Keymaster

I agree, alchemy is said to be the mother of chemistry. However I believe that the master alchemists were working with the spiritual realms as well as the physical realms. Have you heard about the double slit experiment? It states that photons act differently while in a space with and a space without consciousness. I believe consciousness, once refined, can transform matter.

#1531 Reply
              Participant

Thanks for shedding light on this! Yes, I saw a video on the psychedelus youtube channel a while back from where I learnt about the analogy connecting the spiritual and physical realms. It was an eye opener! Been reading up on it ever since 🙂

#1534 Reply
                Participant

I know of the double slit experiment but only as it is a model to show that light has both wave and particle properties. I would be very interested in hearing/reading more about how this relates to consciousness!!

#1536 Reply
                  Participant

This sounds really interesting n i want to know more! 😀

#1544 Reply
                    Keymaster

I haven’t really read it anywhere but this came as an intuition when I was watching a video about alchemy and it’s implications on the spiritual & physical world. The light/matter acts differently with and without consciousness, which implies that consciousness shapes the way matter behaves and manifests. When the soul & consciousness evolves through spiritual alchemy from within, I believe that it is possible for lead to act as and transform into gold, simply because of the alchemized consciousness being there. What do you think?

#1555 Reply
                      Participant

I believe that our imagination runs free while sometimes we as a collective society need assurances to hold our own. A few centuries ago, no one would have believed that charcoal can turn to diamond. So nobody did until the day it was finally achieved. But our imagination never stops crossing frontiers and barriers of conventional wisdom and logic.

So who knows if one day science progresses to that level that it’s possible to discover a process which turns lead to gold? The potential is always present, it just needs to be harnessed.

#1557 Reply
                        Participant

Woowwwwww if these things are really possible then thers so much hidden potential that we all have, need to get reading on alchemy now!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        Reply To: How Accurate is Alchemy Depicted in Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                        Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: