Home Forums Knowledge Bombs Books of Enlightnement

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been looking for more and more books to expand my understanding. But I feel like there is a lot of self-help spirituality bullshit out there meant to make American house wives feel like they are “enlightened” so I thought we should start a thread just to share what books have genuinely helped us in our light journeys.

Right now, for me, that is:

Man and His Symbols , by Carl Jung

The Four Agreements , by Don Miguel Ruiz

What are yours?!

#1526 Reply
      Keymaster

First of all, welcome to this website! 🙂
        And it’s an amazing idea to share our book collections here. I haven’t read the ones you shared but I’m sure they are my next read. The three major books that have expanded my consciousness are:

The Bhagawad Gita, As It Is by Swami Prabhupada

Living In The Heart by Drunvalo Melchizedek

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

May the force be with you

#1537 Reply
        Participant

Have you read the Emerald Tablet & The Ra Material? If you haven’t, do it right now.

#1539 Reply
          Participant

I have been reading and loving Bhagavad Gita, annotated & explained, translation by Shri Purohit Swami, from SkyLight Illuminations publications. It has front facing commentary or endnotes, which makes it easier to read the notes, rather than flipping the page over.

Likewise, from the same publisher, is a translation and annotation of Selections from the Gospels of Ramakrishna.

Both texts talk a lot about acting without attachments and inspire one about meditation and such. One of my favorite excepts from Ramakrishna and the note by Swami Vivekananda is the following, which speaks about the importance of seeing God or good in all, but staying distant from bad company and rather surrounding oneself with good company, as the company you keep can influence you.

“It is said in the scriptures that water is a form of God. But some water is fit to be used for worship, some water for washing the face, and some only for washing plates or dirty linen. This last water cannot be used for drinking or for worship. In like manner, God undoubtedly dwells in the hearts of all – holy and unholy, righteous and unrighteous; but a man should not have dealings with the unholy, the wicked, the impure. He must not be intimate with them. With some of them he may exchange words, but with others he shouldn’t go even that far. You should keep aloof from such people.”

Footnote:

Swami Vivekananda says, “avoid evil company because the scars of old wounds [impressions deposited in the mental body by our thoughts, words, and deeds of past lives] are in you, and evil company is just the thing necessary to call them out. In the same way, we are told that good company will call out to the good impressions which are in us but have become latent. There’s nothing holier in the world than to keep good company, because the good impressions will then tend to come to the surface.”

"Don't be pissed;
            be an alchemist."

#1540 Reply
            Participant

I really liked all the Celestine Prophecy books. If you like The Alchemist, I think you’d like the Celestine Prophecy series of books.

"Don't be pissed;
              be an alchemist."

#1545 Reply
              Keymaster

I don’t know if I agree with this 100% about categorising humans like this, as good or evil. I feel that there is potential in every human to do and be good, this kind of sounds very black & white. But I do agree with the fact that the kind of company we keep changes our perceptions and mental & emotional processes. But if “bad” has the power to change a “good” human, imagine how much power “good” has to transform the “bad” human.

#1558 Reply
                Participant

My all time favourite book is Notes To Myself by Hugh Prather gave me great insight into myself and made me realise that each moment is precious!

#1568 Reply
                  Keymaster

Hey @rainbowman I did my final year project on that book and made a whole garment collection inspired from it 🙂

#1571 Reply
                    Participant

Note to self: Check out Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather :o)

"Don't be pissed;
                      be an alchemist."

#1574 Reply
                      Participant

The one book that has truely enlightened me is the Bible. One of my born again Christian friends brought one round to me after I asked God that I needed a sign he was there as I was feeling down in the dumps and did not feel like continuing this life. I was so shocked when out the blue she gave me a bible and said you would be needing this 5mins after I asked God. The timing throws me of balance when I think about it. My life changed for the better after that happened

#1588 Reply
                        Keymaster

That’s so cool, mysterious ways in which God works through the Universe.

#29541 Reply
                          Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>1. Freedom from the known by Jiddu Krishnamurti.</p>
                            <p style=”text-align: left;”>https://g.co/kgs/h5dCvR</p&gt;
                            <p style=”text-align: left;”>”To be free of all authority, of your own and that of another, is to die to everything of yesterday, so that your mind is always fresh, always young, innocent, full of vigour and passion. It is only in that state that one learns and observes. And for this, a great deal of awareness is required, actual awareness of what is going on inside yourself, without correcting it or telling it what it should or should not be, because the moment you correct it you have established another authority, a censor.”</p>
                            <p style=”text-align: left;”>2. The untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer.</p>
                            <p style=”text-align: left;”>https://g.co/kgs/Pff3u8</p&gt;
                            <p style=”text-align: left;”>”There is nothing more important to true growth than realizing that you are not the voice of the mind – you are the one who hears it.”</p>

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Love yourself.</p>

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          Reply To: Books of Enlightnement

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                          Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: